Living together. Living better.

Carrying a baby is no easy job, it requires large sums of money, mental and physical preparation. There is a lot to take care of and it all comes with a lot of paperwork. The situation becomes even more complicated if you live in a foreign country and perhaps have difficulty with the language. Between us, German is not the most user-friendly!

Not only the German language but also German bureaucracy demands particular attention; pregnancy is of course no exception. All future parents live pregnancy differently and differences also bureaucratically depend on the fact that they may be single, in a married or unmarried couple. Regardless of their social status, there is bureaucratic and financial support for everybody before and after the birth of the newborn: Mutterschaftsgeld, Elternzeit, Elterngeld, Elterngeld plus, Partnerschaftsbonus, Kindergeld.
If you feel uncomfortable thinking of having to go through this bureaucratic process alone, you can decide to look for an organization you can rely on, this will guide you in applying for fundings suitable for your case.

The baby itself will also need personal documents and these vary depending on the parents’ nationality. Are you wondering what documents your baby will need? Leave us a comment!!

Future parents need to inform their employers and request Arbeitsverbot, find a suitable insurance and pediatrician and even start thinking about nursery and Kindergarten, as waiting lists can be very long. Some parents will also consider domestic help essential (Haushaltshilfe). In this regard, in Germany there is a special figure, not so common in other countries, called “Hebamme” (midwife).

Who is an Hebamme and what does she do? Hebammen are represented by the German Midwifery Association (DHV) as specialists for everything related to pregnancy, childbirth and the time afterwards. They provide you with advice and information, care, support and care in special life situations.
Midwives are also entitled to perform maternity care exams, which will be documented in the maternity record and can help you at home if you have pregnancy complaints and contractions, especially during the period closer to delivery. Midwives accompany births in the hospital, in the birthing center and later at home when the mum will experience major physical and mental changes and needs to develop a good relationship with the baby.